Pumpkin Cake and Halloween Cookies

For Thanksgiving, I wanted to bring a dessert to my family's dinner but it had to be something easy since I was working right up until the day we left, and it had to be easy to bring on a 5 hour car trip. I decided to try the Pumpkin Poke Cake recipe I found on Pinterest.


I changed a few things in the recipe...
*I used a box of white cake mix 
*I used E.D. Smith Pure Pumpkin. The can only comes in 540 ml which is much bigger than the suggested size in the recipe. I took out 1 cup of pumpkin from the can and put it in a container in the fridge. I used the rest of the can of pumpkin. 
*I then added 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. 
*Because I added more pumpkin, I used a 9 x 13 pan and baked it for 45 minutes. 

I poked holes and drizzled sweetened condensed milk over it like the recipe said. Once we got to my parents' I spread Cool Whip over the top and that's it. I didn't add caramel or skor bits.

And it was SO YUMMY! It wasn't overly sweet. It was quite pumpkiny (let's pretend this is a word) tasting and it was the perfect combo with the Cool Whip. The best thing was that it was the easiest cake I've ever made and it requires only a few ingredients. 

Last week I made some Halloween cookies with the Wilton pan I have. I used the recipe that came with the pan and it tastes really good (almond extract!). They're sort of like a mix of a sugar cookie and a shortbread cookie. I added a bunch of the monster sprinkles that I had left over. The only problem was the sprinkles melted so it caused some of the cookies to stick to the pan. But overall I like the moldy look the sprinkles gave the cookies. I think they add the perfect touch to the Halloween theme. 

Halloween cookies made out of my Wilton pan! #halloween #wilton #cookies  #sprinkles 

I'm going to make a couple of batches of cupcakes this week and next week - one for a birthday party and then Halloween themed ones. I'm excited to use my black sugar sprinkles!

Have you baked any Halloween treats yet?
xo Jen

No comments